The reason they want us to put on our own oxygen masks first is because we can’t help anyone if we are passed out. Here are a few “oxygen mask” activities for this weekend if you are locked down and feeling out of sorts:
1. FaceTime. A friend you usually see in person, a family member you haven’t talked to for a while. Social connection like this can feel like a hassle, but does wonders for your emotional health.
2. Workout. You haven’t been to the gym in a while? Forget the past. Today is a new day and you are healthy. Here’s your home workout: 10 pushups, 10 sit-ups, 30 minutes of walking or jogging. It might take an hour in total but so what. What else are you doing?
3. Meditate. No need for robes. Just sit or lie down. Eyes closed. Breathe in big belly breaths. Remember the Karate Kid? In through the nose, out through the mouth. Try for five minutes. Doing it outside gets you bonus points.
4. Focus. On something other than your mobile or Twitter’s unending virus updates. Watch a movie with no second screen. Play with your dog. Build a fort with your kids. Reengage that one hobby you shelved.
5. Eat. Good food. Bad food and bad news are the perfect pair. But “good” food will make you feel better. And that’s what we really want, isn’t it?
We want to feel better.
Here’s to a weekend of rest and rejuvenation. These are hard times. Take care of yourself.